The application not only includes support for extracting virtually any kind of file compression format, it also boasts a no-nonsense approach to reducing file sizes.
Some will argue that the application isnâ��t as quick as WinZip at compressing files. However, for the small lag in time difference, you end up with a significantly smaller archived file at the end of the process with WinRAR. Whatâ��s more, the application allows you to save files into both ZIP and RAR formats, with a multitude of options for speeding up compression times, or reducing file sizes at the expense of a few more seconds.
Although many newcomers might be put off by the sheer range of features and settings within the program, the interface doesnâ��t take long to get accustomed to, and if youâ��re still really stuck thereâ��s a simple wizard-based system that walks you through the process of extracting or compressing. All this adds up to make WinRAR a dependable utility that performs better than any other tool in its class.
WinRAR supports the following formats:
RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZIP2, Z, 7-Zip
Recent changes in WinRAR:
* Added support for ZIP archives containing Unicode file names in UTF-8 format.
* Added decompression support for WinZip AES encrypted ZIP archives.
* Improved Unicode support for RAR and ZIP archive names.
* "Ask before overwrite" and "Skip existing files" update modes are now available in archiving dialog
* New "Add to context menu" option in "Profile parameters" dialog.
* New -cp switch allows to select a compression profile in command line mode.
* New "Options" page of archiving dialog contains the group of settings modifying the behavior of "Delete files after archiving" option from "General" page.
* WinRAR "Extraction path and options" dialog is now resizable.
* New "Update" SFX script command and "Update mode" group of options in "Update" page of "Advanced SFX options" dialog.
* SFX script "Shortcut" command and "Add shortcut..." command in "Advanced SFX options" dialog now allow to specify an icon file containing an icon associated with shortcut.
* New "Wipe temporary files" option in "Settings/Security" dialog provides more secure, though slower, way to delete temporary WinRAR files.
* WinRAR and RAR display the total progress bar when unpacking a multivolume RAR archive if all volumes are present in the same folder.
* WinRAR and RAR automatically expand names of environment variables in list files.
* Added support of TAR archives with non-zero "extra field" data.
* Added support of TAR archives, which does not contain the end of archive entry consisting of 512 zero bytes.
* Improved Unicode support when dragging files from WinRAR window.
* Shift+Tab key combination can be used in main WinRAR window to
* switch the input focus between interface elements (files, comment,
* tree, address) in reverse order.
* Corrected a possible WinRAR crash when opening truncated UDF ISO files.
OS requirements for WinRAR:
* OS: Win95/98/98SE/Me/2000/NT/XP
Available for users only